This recipe has been a lifesaver for me. Ava has struggled with constipation ever since she was born, but a few months ago it just got so bad I couldn’t take it. I had tried everything but nothing was working. I found this recipe on an online forum and it immediately started helping Ava and the best part was that she loved them.
It might seem like a lot of ingredients but the recipe makes a lot of cookies. You’ll need
- 1 1/2 cups prune puree (home made or store bought)
- 1/2 cup of oil (olive,coconut, etc.)
- 2/3 cup sweetener (honey, agave, maple syrup..)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat or wheat bran (or more for desired consistency, I usually use closer to 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground flaxseed (optional) I like to add some for a little extra nutrition
Preheat the oven to 350. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, beat well. Then add in the rest of the ingredients. Add more wheat bran to make it the desired consistency, it won’t be exactly like a normal cookie recipe but that’s okay.
Then coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and use a spoon (or whatever works, I used a melon baller) to spoon equal amounts of your cookie dough onto the sheet.
Then bake for 10-12 minutes and let cool. I put my cookies in a freezer bag and keep them frozen so I can just take one or two out at a time as I need them. I give my daughter two cookies a day and this keeps her stomach feeling good. This batch made 65 cookies! So I won’t have to make another batch for a couple weeks at least.
And I have two happy, healthy campers (: